Certificate in Civic Engagement and Public Service
What is the certificate in CEPS?
A certificate is similar to a minor, except that a minor is usually in a single department, whereas a certificate explores a complex topic using courses from several departments. The Certificate in CEPS provides a combination of theory and practical experiences in a coherent framework for students who want to learn how to be effective in building a more just and peaceful world.
Why do the certificate?
- Develop the skills needed for a life of active and engaged citizenship;
- Get hands-on experience connecting ideas and action;
- Explore a path to a career in the civic sphere, non-profit sector, or politics;
- Learn how to create positive social change;
- Receive recognition for public service done while at UMass; and
- Learn how to connect such work to their major.
For more information, follow the links in the left hand navigation bar.