Citizen Scholars Program
We encourage applications from ANY first or second-year UMass Amherst student who has:
- At least four semesters remaining on campus as of Fall 2016,
- A commitment to community engagement and social justice,
- A commitment to rigorous academic work,
- A desire to develop leadership skills, and
- A desire to participate in a supportive learning community.
Applicants are encouraged to review the program information on this CSP website.
Application deadline is March 4, 2016. If room remains after that date, applications will continue to be accepted on a rolling basis until the cohort is filled.
To apply, please complete and submit the application form and materials below.
Submit a typed essay of up to 3 double-spaced pages that addresses the following two questions:
1. What impact do you want to have on the world with your life? Please tell a story or two about your own experience that will help us understand why you care about having this kind of impact.
2. Given the deep roots of injustice in the world, do you have hope that progress towards justice can be made? If so, why? If not, why not?
Part of the application process is an interview with a CSP student and staff member. This interview is a chance for applicants to learn more about CSP and for the admissions committee to learn more about applicants. Please list two preferred interview times on the form below. Applicants will be contacted by email to confirm the interview time.
The list of interview times available can be found here.